Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Multiple Flash

Attempt No. 1

Attempt No. 2
Nicolette Boese, 20, a senior majoring in dance at Stevens College, poses in one of the school's dance studios in Columbia, Mo., Wednesday, Nov. 18, 2009. Boese says she prefers modern dance because it allows her to express her emotions. She wants to find work as a choreographer after graduation.



The key light (dynolight with umbrella) was placed ¾ front right of the subject with a rim light (dynolight with umbrella) ¾ back right and a fill light (dynolight with umbrella) ¾ front left. The rim and fill lights created the cross light we talked about in class. These two lights used half the power of the key light. At first the fill light was too bright, so we moved it further from the subject and then bounced it off a reflector.


I made a few face shots, and I like this one. There’s energy in her eyes, an element missing from the full-body shot. However, I’m not sure the fill light was firing. The rim light was working, but I don’t see it hitting her hair. So, this may be a one-strobe shot and, thus, does not fulfill the requirement of using multiple flashes for this assignment.

This was my first time using the dynolights on location, and I found it be much like working in the studio. I liked the assignment and was really starting to “feel it” at the end. Yet, I stopped too short. I could have ridden that creative wave a bit longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment