Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Metal and Glass


This assignment could be called "metal and pumpkins." (My classmate and lab partner, Alex Browning, took the glass half of this assignment. Check out her new fish: Bob, Marley and Ziggy.)

What I learned: Pumpkins reflect light.

My first try, was with three knives. I determined the placement for a different light source for each knife, and used a green light from the back of the pumpkin to light the stem. However, the resulting photos were flat. There was no definition of the edge of each knife. (Alex was a fabulous help with this effort. She moved equipment and connected, disconnected strobes as needed.)

Looking at my take, I wanted to go back into the studio. This time around, I tried to bring attention to the sharp edge of the knife by 1) determining the family of angles with a flashlight, 2) placing a long, thin light box accordingly and 3) blocking everything but the edge of the knife's light source with a large piece of cardboard. There are two other light sources in my final photo: a soft box at half the power of the knife light to the left of the camera, and a green gelled strobe at half the power of the knife light facing the back of the pumpkin. The resulting photo is a bit under exposed. I would troubleshoot this next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment